December 15, 2016

Chile Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake ~ #BundtBakers

Sleigh bells ring are you listening, in the lane snow is glistening, a beautiful sight we're happy tonight baking in a Winter Wonderland. What do you mean the lyrics don't include baking?  The theme this month for #BundtBakers is Winter Wonderland so I am sticking with those lyrics.




I always look forward to seeing what drinks Starbucks brings out during the holiday season, and I usually try a few of them.  My favorite this season was the Chile Hot Chocolate Mocha and I thought it would be fun to take those flavors - chocolate, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper - and replicate them in a bundt cake.






The combination of sweet and spicy really comes through in this cake.  It had such a rich, dark, chocolate flavor with a kick of heat coming through right at the end. The cocoa powder I used in the cake is made by Rodelle and I found it at Costco.  I loved the flavor it provided so I'll have to go and stock up while they still have it. The top of the cake is meant to mimic the whipped cream that is the finishing touch on the drink, so I used a white frosting and a dusting of spice made from cinnamon and cayenne pepper.





I like spicy foods so the amount of heat was just right for me, but my girls thought it was a little too strong.   This is a cake that you could totally reduce the amount of spice and it would still have an amazing flavor. Either way it is a great cake on those cold winter nights. Excuse me while I go turn on the air conditioning so I can pretend it is winter here, and grab another slice of cake :)






If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for our Winter Wonderland theme please scroll down below the recipe. Thank you to Laura from Baking in Pyjamas for hosting this month.


Mocha Hot Chocolate Bundt
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
Cake ~
  • 170g butter, softened
  • 400g sugar
  • 80g cocoa powder
  • 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup cold brew coffee (or any strong coffee)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 200g all-purpose flour
  • 4 eggs whites 
Frosting ~
  • 125g powdered sugar 
  • 5 teaspoons milk
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper 

Directions
Cake ~
  1. Preheat oven to 160℃. 
  2. Spray bundt pan with baking spray.
  3. In a large measuring cup or bowl, add the coffee and vanilla  and stir to combine.
  4. Whisk the cocoa, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
  5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
  6. Beat in the cocoa and spice mixture.
  7. Add egg yolks one at a time.
  8. Turn the stand mixer to low, and add the flour mixture in two additions alternating with the coffee mixture, starting and finishing with the dry ingredients and beating just until combined.
  9. Using a separate beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  10. Add egg whites to batter ½ at a time until no white streaks remain.
  11. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  12. Let cake cool in pan set on a wire rack at least 1 hour.
  13. Turn out onto a cake plate and decorate with frosting and spice mix.
Frosting ~
  1. In a small bowl add cayenne pepper and cinnamon, whisk until well combined.
  2. Add powdered sugar to a medium bowl, and add up to 5 teaspoons milk, until desired consistency is reached.
  3. Drizzle over the cake.
  4. Dust with cayenne/cinnamon spice mix if you like a little extra spice
Recipe inspired by Pretty Prudent and Starbucks
For US measurements please click here






#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

And don’t forget to take a peek at what the other talented #BundtBakers have baked this month ~



8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cake! My mom became slightly obsessed with the Chile Mocha from Starbucks in the Fall. I will definitely be sharing your cake with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!!! I love a hint of heat and cinnamon in hot cocoa, so I'm sure this cake would be perfect for me! Oh I would love a nice big slice right now!

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm....I was really enjoying this post until the dig about turning on the air conditioner! LOL, just kidding...I'm sure your cake would warm me up during this cold snap we are having in Michigan. Our cold snaps last about 3 months so I will need a lot of cake LOL>

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always look forward to seeing what holiday drinks are available each year, this year I've not yet come across any new ones. I like the sound of that mocha you tried and this cake sounds and looks great Felice. Merry Christmas, I'm looking forward to baking with you in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I want a piece right now! It sounds and looks worthy of much drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooove chocolate and chili, so this one would be perfect for me (us) here! No Starbucks around our place, but to be honest I prefer I slice of your Bundt cake! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.