December 21, 2013

Mini Mincemeat Tarts





Contrary to how it sounds, mincemeat tarts contain no meat, well at least they don't these days but at one time they did.  Typically it would contain chopped dried fruit. liqueur, and some spices.  One day I will make my own mincemeat, and David Lebovitz has a great recipe on his site, but for now I have a few large jars that I picked up on sale.








Since it is still pretty busy in my household - my two older daughters are visiting now that school has finished for the year, and although my two younger daughters are on break, they still have practice for their respective sports, and games/races too. And of course there is that little holiday called Christmas.  Don't even ask my how I am doing with my shopping.  The answer could contain words that no lady should utter.

I do love mince pies and have always enjoyed them at this time of the year, and considering how crazy busy I have been I thought I would take the easy way out and make them using purchased pie dough and a jar of mincemeat.  They are not quite the same as the ones I would enjoy in my local cake shop in Australia, but they certainly made my tummy happy.






Yes, these ones do have pretty pink icing.  No, it is not the traditional way to serve these tarts. However, it is something of a tradition in my husbands family, so each time I make them I top a few with pink icing to remind him of his childhood. He tells me that he remembers his parents buying tarts that were half pink and half white on top, but I have no recollection of any tarts like this growing up, and we did not grow up that far apart.  I guess it is one of those regional things.  Anyway, his mom iced them growing up and now I carry on that tradition.  It's the little things.


Mini Mincemeat Tarts
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients

  • 3 rolls prepared pie crusts (I used Pillsbury)
  • 1 27oz jar prepared mincemeat (I used Borden)

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 400℉, and lightly spray 2 x 24 mini muffin trays with cooking spray.
  2. Unroll the dough on work surface, and using a 2 ½-inch round cookie cutter, cut 48 rounds, re-rolling dough if necessary.
  3. Place each circle over a muffin hole and gently press into the bottom.
  4. Spoon 1 heaped teaspoon of filling into each crust-lined cup.
  5. If desired cut decoration from remaining pastry and place on top of filling prior to baking.
  6. Place tins on oven and bake for approximately 13 minutes, or until tops are lightly golden brown.
  7. Allow to cool slightly in the trays and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.



5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, Felice! And fascinating backstory...Love hearing your tales of Australia =)

    P.s. How did you get those divine ridges on the mini pie crusts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry...Missed the photo of the ridged biscuit cutter...Now I know how to reproduce your lovely shells =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little pies are so cute and yummy looking!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these and have everything it takes to make them!! You made them look so beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! This is exactly the method I was looking for! A jar of filling and store-bought pie crust. That's all the energy I have left!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.