August 28, 2013

Blueberries & Cream Crumb Bars




Blueberries and cream is a match made in heaven.  Although it is now possible to get blueberries year-round, this is the time of year that they are the most affordable. Fresh blueberries make a great snack on their own but when you add them to baked goods the results are amazing.

Recently I used them when I made some scones, but this time I wanted a creamy layer for them to nestle in.  While looking for recipes I saw a lot of blueberry crumb bars and a few blueberry custard bars, but none that combined the custard and a crumb topping.  I decided to use the base and crumb topping from my recent post for Razzeleberry bars and a custard filling, and the combination was a great success.

Last night I had a compulsory parent meeting for my daughters JV volleyball team, and there was to be a potluck afterwards, so I thought these would be perfect.  I think they must have been because when the container I brought them in was returned to me there were a few crumbs and a lone blueberry in the bottom.  I was so glad that I had kept a few small pieces at home or I would not have gotten to try the bars at all.

I just love the base of these bars.  The almond meal gives it such a distinct nutty taste, and the hint of lemon complimented the blueberries perfectly, and it just seems to melt in your mouth once you bite into it. They were prefect on their own, but I think that a la mode may just put them over the top.






Blueberries & Cream Crumb Bars
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Base/Topping ~
  • ½ cup white granulated sugar
  • ½ brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
  • ¾ cups almond meal
  • 1 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • powdered sugar for sprinkling
Custard ~
  • 3 eggs
  • 1¼ cups sugar
  • ¾ cup sour cream
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups blueberries
Preparation
Crust ~
  1. Preheat the oven to 375℉. 
  2. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. 
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla together until combined. 
  4. In the bowl of a food processor add ½ cup white sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, 2½ cups flour, salt, and baking powder; pulse to blend. 
  5. Add cold butter; pulse until small crumbs appear. 
  6. Remove half of the crumbs and set aside. 
  7. Add almond meal, remaining ½ cup of flour, lemon zest, and egg/vanilla mixture to the food processor; pulse until mix comes together. 
  8. Press the almond meal-flour mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared pan and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, remove and cool slightly.
  9. While the base is baking prepare the custard filling.
Custard ~
  1. Place eggs in a medium-sized bowl and whisk the eggs until combined.
  2. Add the sugar and continue to whisk until foamy.
  3. Add the sour cream, flour, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt and whisk until incorporated. 
  4. Fold in the blueberries. 
  5. Pour the custard mixture over the crust and smooth the top.
  6. Sprinkle the reserved crumb topping over the custard. 
  7. Bake until the center is set and the topping is golden, about 30-40 minutes.
  8. Let cool, then refrigerate.
  9. Once cold, sift powdered sugar over the top and cut into bars/squares/triangles.

Recipe by All That's Left Are The Crumbs©


2 comments:

  1. You know when the container comes back empty they were good. I have a thing for blueberries, well I have a thing for all baked goods, lol. But I have to say I wouldn't pass if one these was passed my way. Hope you are having a good week.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, just when I think I'd found every great baking blog, I found yours! This must be my lucky day. I love blueberries, I love crumb cakes and I love creamy fillings (and I don't mean Jello instant pudding!). I can't wait to make this recipe tonight and bring it into the office tomorrow. Thank you so much!

    Vickie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.