October 04, 2012

Say hello to my little friend, and ANZAC biscuits.






This little guy was so patient while I was taking his picture.  He hung around for a while, and then kind of looked up as if to say 'this has been fun but I gotta go'.  I wonder if he knew that I had to go too since I wanted to make some ANZAC biscuits?

ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Armed Corps, and ANZAC Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War, and is now a day of remembrance for all who have served and died for their country and occurs on April 25.  It is thought that ANZAC biscuits came into being when family members wanted to send something to their loved ones but needed something that would not spoil during their long journey overseas.  Eggs were omitted from the recipe, mainly because they were very hard to come by at the time, and also for the longevity of the biscuit. According to both Australian and New Zealand law they are never to be referred to as cookies - I didn't know this.

Once you add the baking soda mixture to the butter/syrup mixture it will bubble up.


I love making these biscuits throughout the year. On my last visit to Australia I brought back golden syrup with me so I would have it on hand to make these - well not just these since I love it on toast too.  I do love the brand from Australia because it is a little stronger (which you can buy online but it is expensive), but you can also get Lyle's Golden Syrup from Whole Foods, King Arthur Flour, and World Market.  These biscuits are delicious, super easy and as mentioned above keep very well.  



 


  
ANZAC Biscuits
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
  • 9 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup brown sugar

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 325℉.
  2. Place butter and syrup in a small saucepan and heat gently until butter and syrup melt.
  3. Combine baking soda and water in a small bowl and stir into melted butter mixture.
  4. Place remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour over warm butter mixture and stir well to combine.
  5. Roll rounded teaspoons of mixture into balls. Place about 1½ inches apart on Silpat or baking paper lined baking trays and flatten slightly.
  6. Bake in preheated oven 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. 
  7. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on baking trays; transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. 
 Recipe from the Australian Women's Weekly




5 comments:

  1. My first taste of Anzac biscuit was when I visited Sydney last year and fell in love with the biscuit at first bite. Wish I could try yours..they look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww he's such a lil cutie!! :D I love Anzac biscuits and Lyle's is great isn't it? I love the tin too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, one time fellow Cake Slice Baker!

    We are starting on a new cakebook soon and I so miss your company! I wonder if you care to re join TCS bakers in our new cakebook? xoxo ~ Emily

    "Now for some exciting news! As this was our second last cake from our current cake book, we are now opening up group to fellow cake baking enthusiasts who wish to bake with us for the upcoming year. Places are limited and you will need to buy a copy of the new cake book to participate, so dedicated bakers only please.

    Anyone wishing to join us can email the co-organiser at (love.for.coffee[AT]gmail.com) along with their name, blog name, blog URL and email address for details. Please put ‘New Cake Slice Member’ in the subject box."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, thanks for the invite to re-join. I have missed the Cake Slice Bloggers. I sent an email to the co-organizer.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.